[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson@verizon.net
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:16:33 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Ingle [mailto:dingle@baldwin-net.com]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 12:13 PM
To: thompson
Subject: Tommy Loy

Rebecca:
I called Tommy this morning, and had a good chat about times past
and found him in remarkable good spirits. I lost a first cousin to
years ago to the same disease. IT is fast and seldom has a good
outlook. So it was in effect a farewell talk.

I would advise anyone who wants to say goodbye or give a little cheer to
Tom at this time not to wait. Considering the rapid impact of pancreatic
cancer, it could be too late with the snail speed of some mail.

I found him to be almost upbeat as we talked. I think he is accepting
The reality. I found him to be -- as our Brit friends might say...with a
Stiff upper lip about things.

Though I had not seen Tom in almost 25 years, I have keep touch from
Time to time and will feel the loss of a friend when and if the time
come. I am
grateful that he has close friends such as yourself nearby to keep him
>From being alone. The hospice program is a fine one, and will make him
comfortable. But nothing gives more comfort than the contacts of
friends.

To be prepared is not just for one like Tommy at this time -- it is
Also important for his friends. It may too be over until the fat lady
sings, but we need to understand that she is warming up in the wings.
Tommy closed with "see you on the other side, friend." I said I would,
but until then say to hello to my dad and the other cats waiting.  Got
to be one hell of a session waiting us all.

Don Ingle