[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy Update

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:55:31 EDT

--part1_123.17f39965.2ad332a3_boundary

In a message dated 10/7/02 10:06:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
res0a3qw@verizon.net writes:

> This is to let you listmates out there know that our good buddy, Tommy
> Loy, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the end of July after he
> returned from the trip to Scotland with Cell Block 7.

   I called tommy last night.  His spirits are good but he has stopped
treatment.
   He had to stop playing and, sadly, his situation is not good.  He does
have a hospice nurse a couple of times a week.  And he gets morphine when he
needs it.
   I think that it is uncomftorable for him to talk for very long and so I
didn't push it.

   Tommy Loy came to Chicago when the Illiana Jazz club through a
'retirement' party for me.  He played up a storm and for me, it was great to
see him.  I first met him some years ago at a Jazz Festival in Reno.
Subsequently, he came to Chicago as Dick's Last Resort was opening and lined
up bands for them.  Dick's essentially had different bands each night.  Tommy
lined up myself.  Charlie Hooks, Dave Remington, Chuck Hedges and others for
the other nights.  I owe Tommy a lot but beyond that I just like the guy and
the way he plays.  I wish that I could return the favor and come down to see
him but travel is out for me.

   Maybe Jim Cullum could do a tribute or something to Tommy.  He deserves
it.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_123.17f39965.2ad332a3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/7/02 10:06:10 AM Central Daylight Time, res0a3qw@verizon.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
This is to let you listmates out there know that our good buddy, Tommy <BR>
Loy, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the end of July after he <BR>
returned from the trip to Scotland with Cell Block 7. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I called tommy last night.&nbsp; His spirits are good but he has stopped treatment.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; He had to stop playing and, sadly, his situation is not good.&nbsp; He does&nbsp; have a hospice nurse a couple of times a week.&nbsp; And he gets morphine when he needs it.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I think that it is uncomftorable for him to talk for very long and so I didn't push it.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Tommy Loy came to Chicago when the Illiana Jazz club through a 'retirement' party for me.&nbsp; He played up a storm and for me, it was great to see him.&nbsp; I first met him some years ago at a Jazz Festival in Reno.&nbsp; Subsequently, he came to Chicago as Dick's Last Resort was opening and lined up bands for them.&nbsp; Dick's essentially had different bands each night.&nbsp; Tommy lined up myself.&nbsp; Charlie Hooks, Dave Remington, Chuck Hedges and others for the other nights.&nbsp; I owe Tommy a lot but beyond that I just like the guy and the way he plays.&nbsp; I wish that I could return the favor and come down to see him but travel is out for me.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe Jim Cullum could do a tribute or something to Tommy.&nbsp; He deserves it.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_123.17f39965.2ad332a3_boundary--