[Dixielandjazz] 6 string banjos

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:09:36 +0100

An American friend sent me a VCR tape of a banjo player named Bela Fleck (a
Yank?), recorded from a TV programme. Ye Gods !! It takes a little while to
get into the unfamiliar stylings of his group - I found it impossible to
categorise the music - but it is the most accomplished banjo playing I have
ever seen or heard.

The guy even plays unaccompanied Bach pieces and there is a segment on the
tape with two people together playing one banjo - one of the fast classic
banjo breakdowns with Bela doing the strumming and another guy doing the
fingering. Astonishing stuff, catch it if you can.

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net