[Dixielandjazz] Playing too long

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 18:07:58 -0400

Rebecca Thompson wrote: (after the Carl Fontana story.)

It is better for them to "retire" than not be able to play up to their
standard.

Then Jim Beebe wrote:

In my own case, I hung on a bit longer than I should have but I really
needed
the money.  I still do and if I could stumble to the gig, blast a few
notes
and get paid, I probably would.

Then others chimed in saying how sad it was to see Hawkins, or Speigal
Wilcox, etc., etc ., after their prime.

Listmates, here is my two cents

If I never saw old has beens, I never would have neither seen Bunk
Johnson in the 1940s, nor Louis Armstrong in the 1950s, , nor Billie
Holiday in the 1950s, nor Sinatra not too long before he passed, etc.,
etc, etc; Whatever their reason for performing, it was good enough for
me to go seem them live, when they were well past their primel, and well
worth the price of admission.

And you know, they were better in their dotage than anybody I've seen
recently in their prime at Festivals, or jazz clubs. (with the exception
of headliners like Arturo Sandoval, Phil Woods, or Marsalis with whom
they were equal to). Think about it, who out there equates to the Louis
Armstrong All Stars?

Hawkins, Speigal (even thought he may never have been a GREAT
trombonist), Fontana, Sinatra, Holiday etc. And you too, Jim Beebe.
Hell, I'd pay to see them blow their nose just because of their
contribution to music and to get a chance to pay my respects. Sad, if
they can't play up to "standard"? Maybe. But also wonderful, at least
for me, to see someone who was a part of the history.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Reminds me of playing with Hawkins in the 50s. Wow, what an experience.
And of seeing another hero, several years ago in NYC at a musicians
gathering. I was talking with a couple of buddies about trombone players
and the subject was Kid Ory. An old thin black man on the edge of our
circle heard us and came up to say hello. He said: "I used to play a
little trombone myself maybe you heard of me and then, maybe not. I'm
J.J. Johnson.

And there I was in my 60s, asking for, and getting his autograph. Wish I
could have seen him play live then too.