[Dixielandjazz] Coleman Hawkins / when to retire

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 09:45:46 -0500

> Art Wood wrote:
>
> ...Hawk started to blow and nothing came out except a breathy
> failed attempt much like a beginner who couldn't produce a tone.
>
> There were some jeers (by those who didn't realize that Hawk was the god of
> the tenor sax), but soon a wave of appreciative and encouraging applause
> overcame the coliseum and everyone who knew what was happening clapped with
> all their heart.
>
> I, for one, had tears as I realized that a great one was crumbling and had
> lost it.
>
> The band started over and Hawk did produce a weak tone and somehow finished
> the chorus. It was very sad but still a memorable time. In a way I was proud
> that Hawk didn't throw his horn down or leave in frustration. He did his best
> and the crowd was with him.

Thanks for this memory, Art.
While I can understand Rebecca feeling like Hawk should've retired sooner, I
also know that great art has the ability to evoke a wide range of human
emotions. This was art! In reading Art's experience of Coleman Hawkins in
1968, clearly many feelings came up for him that are still quite powerfully
moving, and with an image that is still quite vivid in his mind even today,
some 35 years later.
Yes, it was a tearjerker as Art felt embarrassment, sadness, and a
frightening sense of time marching mercilessly forward, but he also felt
pride and appreciation for this legendary player who had yet to finish
creating the masterpiece that was his life.
While tending to my roses, I can't quite bring myself to clip the wilted
roses until the shrinking petals have begun to fall on their own. That's me.
I wish I'd been there to see Hawk on that day in 1968. It was art for Art.
Love and hugs,
Nancy

P.S. I'm off to see Romans and Gunter performing with Cell Block 7. Fun! :)