[Dixielandjazz] Carl Fontana and Coleman Hawkins

Artwoo@aol.com Artwoo@aol.com
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:42:12 EDT

Hi Folks;

The sad tale of Carl Fontana reminds of the time I went to a concert that
featured Coleman Hawkins, about 1968 at the Oakland Coliseum.

Hawk came to the front of the stage and the audience was hushed in
anticipation of his solo that was about to happen.

I think it was Body and Soul. Anyway, Hawk started to blow and nothing came
out except a breathy failed attempt much like a beginner who couldn't produce
a tone.

There were some jeers (by those who didn't realize that Hawk was the god of
the tenor sax), but soon a wave of appreciative and encouraging applause
overcame the coliseum and everyone who knew what was happening clapped with
all their heart.

I, for one, had tears as I realized that a great one was crumbling and had
lost it.

The band started over and Hawk did produce a weak tone and somehow finished
the chorus. It was very sad but still a memorable time. In a way I was proud
that Hawk didn't throw his horn down or leave in frustration. He did his best
and the crowd was with him.

Sincerely,
Art Wood