[Dixielandjazz] Hildagarde

steven holzer slholzer@iquest.net
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 17:13:57 -0500

As already noted by other listers, Hildegarde Knef is not the same
person as Hildegarde, the American chanteuse. For my money, Hildegarde
Knef is by far the more interesting of the two. As a singer, she was one
of those voiceless wonders who nevertheless sold a  song like nobody's
business. She also wrote a number of very poignant songs. I highly
recommend her live album, which features a wonderful backing combo led
by Gunter Norris. It is especially rewarding if you understand German.
Her autobiography, The Gift Horse, is also a good read.

Steve Holzer