[Dixielandjazz] Who was Glenn Gould

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:03:53 -0500

on 10/2/02 3:11 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet@earthlink.net wrote:

> He had a very interesting
> posture when playing as he became totally absorbed by the music. Kind of
> like "play like no one is watching". Head almost on the keyboard etc.,
> sometimes legs crossed etc. He reminded me of Monk in approach to music,
> to the piano and to life itself. As a classical pianist, he was one who
> had both technical facility and soul. And he lived his life on HIS
> terms.

You've sure got that right, Steve!  I was teaching at SIU and caught him
live in St. Louis, Mo., of all places, one winter night after the concert
was slightly delayed while he soaked his hands in warm water.  You're right
about the head position, and he also sang along with the piano, sometimes
loudly enough to be heard over it.  Glenn Gould was one of a kind, and while
I've never really understood his album notes from the 50s redcording, I do
re-read them once in awhile.  Either he needed practice writing or I needed
a lot of practice reading.  But he sure could play the danged piano!

Charlie