[Dixielandjazz] Clarineticist

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:35:31 +0000

Hi all,

Tony Davis writes (regarding the word "clarineticists"):

>I spent hours (well, several seconds) trying to extract the hidden meaning
>from that intriguing word "clarineticists".  I was sure there must be some
>sort of pun or musical/literary allusion in there somewhere, since TWMMM's
>posts to this list demonstrate that he is widely read and adept in the
>niceties of linguistic usage.  But I finally gave up and decided that it
>must be a typo.

I feel sure the word was simply spelt that way because it has a funny sound.
It's merely an amusing spelling which should elicit a giggle and not a
search for logical etymologies. I'll wager it's not a typo.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "It means 'one who plays the clarinet'" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com