[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong Tapes

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:54:12 -0400

Jim Beebe wrote (polite Snip)

"The wise thing to do, I think, would be to archive them and they could
be available for serious students of Armstrong's work."

Jim & List Mates:

Yes. Amen to that. I believe that the tapes (2600 hours) are presently
being archived at Queens College. They are now available to serious
researchers of Louis' life and music. Most of us do not realize how
large the Armstrong legacy at Queens College and his house in NYC really
is. It includes:

LOUIS ARMSTRONG COLLECTION: 1600 recordings, 650 reel to reel tapes, 86
Scrapbooks, 5000 Photographs, 270 sets of arrangements, 12 linear feet
of manuscripts, letters, etc., 5 trumpets, 14 mouthpieces,
120 awards placques, etc.

SATCHMO COLLECTION: Donated items, growing rapidly. Includes a 1934
Selmer Trumpet given him by King George V of Great Britain, an
autographed cornet case, donated by Randy Sanke, etc.

JACK BRADLEY COLLECTION: 200 rare original recordings, one cubic foot of
manuscripts.

PHOEBE JACOBS COLLECTION: eight cubic feet of ephemera related to her
work with Louis & Lucille

WINGY MANONE COLLECTION: one of Wingy's trumpets, two cubic feet of
scores, papers and recordings.

However all this stuff came to the museum (House and archives at Queens
College) is not important. What is important is that it has been saved
for posterity and enables future generations to more fully understand
the man and his music. From the best source of all, Louis himself.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Too bad we don't have that insight with Glenn Gould  ;-)