[Dixielandjazz] Billy Banks Rhythmakers

Anton Crouch a.crouch@unsw.edu.au
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:44:56 +1100

Hello Jim D and DJMLers

1932 was a bad year for the record industry and that the Billy Banks sides
were made at all is a matter for rejoicing. To complain (by implication)
about the vocals by Billy Banks and Chick Bullock is a tad unreasonable.
I'm biased however - I think Banks adds to the quality of the jazz. His
vocal on take 3 of "Yellow dog blues" contains, I think, one of the finest
examples of scat singing on record.

The "female" voice on "Mean old bed bug blues"? To me, it's unambiguously
Fats Waller.

As to the drummer on the 18 April sides, he sounds different to the drummer
on the May to October sessions. If it's Zutty Singleton on the latter
sessions then it's probably not Zutty on the former.

All the best
Anton