[Dixielandjazz] New MIDI

John Ding roadie@btinternet.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:04:06 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Farrell" <stridepiano@tesco.net>

: Ever heard of a tune by Albert Ammons called Woo Woo?
_________

Hi John,

He made a solo recording of this at the Sherman Hotel, Chicago on 9/10/39
which has been issued by the Danish Storyville label - sorry don't have a
number (but bet Bill Haeslar does <vbg>) and knowing Storyville, probably
long deleted.

I have the title on an original US Brunswick 78 with AA as part of the
"Harry James and the Boogie Woogie Trio" ~ it's backed by "Boo Woo" which
has Pete Johnson. Two other tracks were recorded that day, 1/2/39, "Jesse"
(AA) & "Home James" (PJ). I think I may have a copy of these also, but not
certain without digging deep and long into the numerous boxes.

I also have a 78 of "Woo Woo" by Joe Marsala (16/3/38) which includes Joe
Bushkin on piano. It's some time since I played this but have a sneaky
suspicion it may not be the same tune and do not recollect there being any
emphasis on the piano.

Cheers

 John,
        Suffolk, England.