[Dixielandjazz] Re: Starting a Jazz Society

Rebecca Thompson rebecca.e.thompson@verizon.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:17:17 -0600

Will,

Guess we should have called you last year.  We were in contact with
quite a few people across the U.S. of A. picking their brains.

Tommy Loy and a group of us got together to try to get something going.
Everything seem to point to the fact we needed PEOPLE and MONEY.  Even
the few in this area who profess to "like" OKOM wouldn't go across the
street to hear it, much less support it.   On Tuesday nights at the
Bavarian Grill while Tommy was playing, we had about 2 regular couples
and 3 or 4 singles (who were regulars).  Even the other musicians are
not really "into" the music and wouldn't do anything if they didn't get
a buck for it.

It just seemed that Jim and I (and Tommy at that time) were the only
ones really wanting it.  Country music has a REALLY big hold over this
market.

Rebecca