[Dixielandjazz] Rhythmakers

Don Mopsick mophandl@landing.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:43:40 -0600

We recorded an hour show at Sac this year on the Rhythmakers. The band was the
JCJB, Duke Heitger on trumpet, and Clint Baker on guitar. The show was called The
Rhythmakers: A Gathering of Jazz Titans and it was broadcast the week of 9/12/02.

Tapes or CDs of Riverwalk broadcasts are not available.

I built a web page about the show at:

http://www.riverwalk.org/proglist/showpromo/rhythmakers.htm

which contains a link to the amazon.com page for the CD.

There is also a funny story about Pee Wee Russell told to me by Marty Grosz, who is
a great fan of the Rhythmakers sides:
"Billy Banks, after making the Rhythmakers recordings and performing at Connie's
Inn,  worked in New York, toured Europe, and eventually settled in Tokyo, Japan.
Pee Wee Russell was on tour with the Eddie Condon All-Stars in Japan in 1964, and
had a reunion with Billy there. Pee Wee had not seen Billy since the Rhythmakers
sessions back in 1932.

Pee Wee, after an initial greeting, said to Banks, "So--you got any more gigs?"

mopo