[Dixielandjazz] Re: Who will get my recordings?

LeslieMRag@aol.com LeslieMRag@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:26:42 EST

--part1_1ac.cae1d34.2b167672_boundary

If not donating to TJEN (as outlined in a previous posting), the LOC Recorded
Sound Section is certainly a good option. And I don't mean to infer that
bigger libraries and archives won't welcome your collection and use it--but I
suggest you ask when and how the collection will be catalogued and how
available it will be to visitors to the library or archives. Also check to
see if your collection duplicates what they already have on hand. Besides
considering Tulane's excellent Jazz Archives (which also has invaluable oral
histories available to jazz researchers), you might also check with the New
Orleans Jazz Museum.

When subscribers contact The Mississippi Rag about where to donate their back
issues (most of our subscribers have saved every copy), we suggest that they
donate the RAGs to their local public library. We've found that the public
libraries are ecstatic about getting the RAG because they don't have much of
a budget for small special interest publications. (After receiving the
issues, many make it available on microfiche because newsprint is fragile.)
Personally, I've also donated trad jazz recordings to my local public
library. They either add them to their collection or sell them as part of
their "Friends of the Library" sales. Either way, the recordings are reaching
interested listeners. (I became knowledgeable and enthused about opera by
borrowing a gazillion opera LPs from my local library before building my own
collection of opera recordings. That can work for trad jazz and ragtime, too.
I know we've gotten subscribers from those who've discovered the RAG through
their local library.)  I also agree that the IAJRC is a good group to contact
regarding collections, especially if you have rare items you'd like to sell.

Leslie Johnson
editor@mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag@aol.com

P.S. Sheik mentions David Sager in his posting about the Library of Congress,
and he's right about David's trad jazz credentials--we're so impressed with
David that he's the cover story of the just-published December RAG! He
certainly could be trusted to treat any collection with loving care.

In a message dated 11/27/2002 10:39:33 AM Central Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> The Library of Congress Recorded Sound Section (or whatever they call it
> these days) worries very much about jazz recordings. Sam Brylowski, the
> Head, knows okom thoroughly, and there's at least one other person there
> who's an okom expert, David Sager, trombonist. They'd be happy to get the
> rarer stuff, including privately recorded tapes, etc.
>
> --Sheik

--part1_1ac.cae1d34.2b167672_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>If not donating to TJEN (as outlined in a previous posting), the LOC Recorded Sound Section is certainly a good option. And I don't mean to infer that bigger libraries and archives won't welcome your collection and use it--but I suggest you ask when and how the collection will be catalogued and how available it will be to visitors to the library or archives. Also check to see if your collection duplicates what they already have on hand. Besides considering Tulane's excellent Jazz Archives (which also has invaluable oral histories available to jazz researchers), you might also check with the New Orleans Jazz Museum.
<BR>
<BR>When subscribers contact The Mississippi Rag about where to donate their back issues (most of our subscribers have saved every copy), we suggest that they donate the RAGs to their local public library. We've found that the public libraries are ecstatic about getting the RAG because they don't have much of a budget for small special interest publications. (After receiving the issues, many make it available on microfiche because newsprint is fragile.) Personally, I've also donated trad jazz recordings to my local public library. They either add them to their collection or sell them as part of their "Friends of the Library" sales. Either way, the recordings are reaching interested listeners. (I became knowledgeable and enthused about opera by borrowing a gazillion opera LPs from my local library before building my own collection of opera recordings. That can work for trad jazz and ragtime, too. I know we've gotten subscribers from those who've discovered the RAG through their local library.) &nbsp;I also agree that the IAJRC is a good group to contact regarding collections, especially if you have rare items you'd like to sell.
<BR>
<BR>Leslie Johnson
<BR>editor@mississippirag.com OR
<BR>lesliemrag@aol.com
<BR>
<BR>P.S. Sheik mentions David Sager in his posting about the Library of Congress, and he's right about David's trad jazz credentials--we're so impressed with David that he's the cover story of the just-published December RAG! He certainly could be trusted to treat any collection with loving care.
<BR>