[Dixielandjazz] Re: Billy Banks Rhythmakers

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:35:44 +1100

Dear Jim,
I agree with what you say about The Rhythmakers sessions and, like you, wonder
why they are rarely mentioned.
Definitely MKOM!
They have been in my collection for years first as 78s, then LP and now CD.
   Item 1. Henry Allen and Pee Wee Russell appeared together on several
occasions after the Rhythmakers record date.
It is said that they were friends from St Louis in the 1920s.
a)  Eddie Condon Town Hall concert on 11 April 1942. Recorded, but acetates not
yet located.
b)  Eddie Condon 'Floor Show' TV series 16 Dec 1948.
c)  The Sound of Jazz TV special rehearsal 5 Dec 1957. Was available on LP/CD.
d)  The Sound of Jazz TV special CBS. 8 Dec 1957. Was available on LP/CD.
e)  Chicago And All That Jazz TV special NBC. 31 Oct 1961. Was available on LP.
f)  Tribute to Eddie Condon concert, Carnegie Hall. 20 July 1964. Unissued
private tape exists.
g)  Red Allen and Pee Wee Russell. Impulse session (recorded at a Whitney
Balliett lecture). 29 Oct 1966.
I believe that this is the 1967 "College Concert" you refer to (with Charlie
Haden, sb).
   Item 3. I have always believed that Zutty Singleton was the drummer on the
first session (1 April 1932) notwithstanding the discographies stating that it
was Krupa.
   Item 4. Somewhere I have an article about Jimmy Lord. Mississippi Rag? IAJRC
Journal? I will check.
Kind regards,
Bill.