[Dixielandjazz] Re: Trumpet high notes

David Livingston snargi01@yahoo.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:24:06 -0800 (PST)

Jon Faddis is one of the best of the extreme range
players out there today. He doesn't play with
blasstissimo dynamics but at the same time it is not a
thin irritating whistle.

One of his front teeth is chipped and he is able to
channel his air through the hole and I think that
helps him in the upper range.

I remember a story he told at a clinic about when he
first went to NY to be a studio musician. He was flush
with money and decided to get his teeth fixed. He went
to the dentist and had his tooth capped then went to a
gig. He said he played like crap. The next day he went
back to the dentist and had the cap removed.

When he plays with big bands he plays very Dizzy-like
except an octave up. Unfortunately, his solo CDs are
mostly modern jazz combo recordings that sometimes get
a little too "out there" for me.

----------------------------
--- David Palmquist <davidpalmquist@dccnet.com> wrote:
> Mmhmm.  The difficulty with high-note kings is they
usually prefer blasstissimo dynamics.  Ugly.  There's
no need for that in the kind of music I like.

~~~ polite snip ~~~

>I'm not familiar with Mr. Faddis, so I can't comment
on his work.

David in Delta

=====
David Livingston