[Dixielandjazz] Re: Who will get my recordings?

LeslieMRag@aol.com LeslieMRag@aol.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:53:07 EST

--part1_bc.2fd2086f.2b153933_boundary

Dear List:

As far as I know, no one has mentioned the best place of all for a collection
-- The Traditional Jazz Educators Network, headed by Dave Robinson. Dave
writes a bimonthly column for The Mississippi Rag about TJEN's efforts to
educate young people about traditional jazz and ragtime by using TJEN's
lending library of recordings and printed materials. I've sent some of my
collection to Dave and plan to send far more to him once I get my collection
sorted better. (I have a lot of LPs that have been replaced with CDs.) He
takes LPs, cassettes, CDs, videos, books, sheet music--anything at all that
will spread the word about the music. The problem with donating to the
Smithsonian or Tulane or any other library is that often the collection
doesn't get catalogued due to staff or budget shortages, and the collections
never see the light of day. (I know of a wonderful film library that
mouldered in a University library basement.) Please check the TJEN web site
at http://prjc.org/tjen/resources.htm (Resources for Teaching Traditional
Jazz) or contact Dave Robinson at jazzteachr@sysnet.net. (TJEN is also listed
on the RAG's  web site at www.mississippirag.com. Click on "Links," then
click on "Music Education"). If you donate your collection to TJEN, you will
do a great service to traditional jazz by helping kids (and teachers) learn
about this wonderful music. At the very least, please read about this
terrific educational effort. I think it's well worth supporting -- you can be
sure that your collection will be both appreciated and used.

And my apologies if this posting appears twice. I'm entering it only once,
but for some reason, it prints twice when it's posted!

Leslie Johnson
editor@mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag@aol.com

--part1_bc.2fd2086f.2b153933_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Dear List:
<BR>
<BR>As far as I know, no one has mentioned the best place of all for a collection -- The Traditional Jazz Educators Network, headed by Dave Robinson. Dave writes a bimonthly column for The Mississippi Rag about TJEN's efforts to educate young people about traditional jazz and ragtime by using TJEN's lending library of recordings and printed materials. I've sent some of my collection to Dave and plan to send far more to him once I get my collection sorted better. (I have a lot of LPs that have been replaced with CDs.) He takes LPs, cassettes, CDs, videos, books, sheet music--anything at all that will spread the word about the music. The problem with donating to the Smithsonian or Tulane or any other library is that often the collection doesn't get catalogued due to staff or budget shortages, and the collections never see the light of day. (I know of a wonderful film library that mouldered in a University library basement.) Please check the TJEN web site at http://prjc.org/tjen/resources.htm (Resources for Teaching Traditional Jazz) or contact Dave Robinson at jazzteachr@sysnet.net. (TJEN is also listed on the RAG's &nbsp;web site at www.mississippirag.com. Click on "Links," then click on "Music Education"). If you donate your collection to TJEN, you will do a great service to traditional jazz by helping kids (and teachers) learn about this wonderful music. At the very least, please read about this terrific educational effort. I think it's well worth supporting -- you can be sure that your collection will be both appreciated and used.
<BR>
<BR>And my apologies if this posting appears twice. I'm entering it only once, but for some reason, it prints twice when it's posted!
<BR>
<BR>Leslie Johnson
<BR>editor@mississippirag.com OR
<BR>lesliemrag@aol.com</FONT></HTML>