[Dixielandjazz] Music changes because of technology!

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:20:37 -0800

--=====================_65356176==_.ALT

Seems to me the vintage music recording industry is fairly
healthy.  Despite what you think of the series, the PBS thing by Ken Burns
a couple of years ago gave jazz, early and late, a tremendous shot in the
arm.  Guys like Wynton Marsalis and David Berger also do a lot through
Jazz@Lincoln Center.  There are so many titles on the market today around
the world that you can't say OKOM is dying out.  Plus the swing band fad of
the last couple of years among young adults; the tremendously healthy high
school music and jazz programs in North America all help.

I'm pretty sure that OKOM will be available to me in record stores for the
rest of my life.  After that, I'm taking my Ellingtons with me, provided I
can find a plug for my CD player.

DAvid in Delta

At 11:34 26-11-02, Vilcad \(Ron Gable\) wrote:
>Jim,
>
>I think the Internet is definitely changing the way music will be
>distributed.  I'm just not smart enough to know if it will help or hurt
>OKOM.  It appears to me that more people are going to live jazz events
>because the record industry is not putting out much new in the way of
>jazz.  Of course this could be wishful thinking on my part but other
>changes in the past have had an effect on fans going for live music versus
>staying home to listen.  As long as people like us push and promote jazz,
>it will surface in one form or another.
>
>Ron & Rosemary Gable
>Jazz Advocates & Jazz
>Writer for Impact Weekly
>10790 W. National Road
>Brookville, Ohio 45309
>(937) 833-4053
><mailto:rongable@jazzadvocate.com>rongable@jazzadvocate.com
>Join the Advocate Movement
>at <http://www.jazzadvocate.com>www.jazzadvocate.com
>
>############################

--=====================_65356176==_.ALT

Seems to me the vintage music recording industry is fairly healthy.&nbsp;
Despite what you think of the series, the PBS thing by Ken Burns a couple
of years ago gave jazz, early and late, a tremendous shot in the
arm.&nbsp; Guys like Wynton Marsalis and David Berger also do a lot
through Jazz@Lincoln Center.&nbsp; There are so many titles on the market
today around the world that you can't say OKOM is dying out.&nbsp; Plus
the swing band fad of the last couple of years among young adults; the
tremendously healthy high school music and jazz programs in North America
all help.&nbsp; <br><br>
I'm pretty sure that OKOM will be available to me in record stores for
the rest of my life.&nbsp; After that, I'm taking my Ellingtons with me,
provided I can find a plug for my CD player.<br><br>
DAvid in Delta<br><br>
At 11:34 26-11-02, Vilcad \(Ron Gable\) wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
music will be distributed.&nbsp; I'm just not smart enough to know if it
will help or hurt OKOM.&nbsp; It appears to me that more people are going
to live jazz events because the record industry is not putting out much
new in the way of jazz.&nbsp; Of course this could be wishful thinking on
my part but other changes in the past have had an effect on fans going
for live music versus staying home to listen.&nbsp; As long as people
like us push and promote jazz, it will surface in one form or
another.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
Jazz Advocates &amp; Jazz <br>
Writer for Impact Weekly<br>
10790 W. National Road<br>
Brookville, Ohio 45309<br>
(937) 833-4053<br>
Join the Advocate Movement<br>
at
&nbsp;<br>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:kash@ran.es">James Kashishian</a>
<dd>To:</b>
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:53 PM

<dd>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Music changes because of technology!
<dd>&gt;An excerpt from a New York Time's article, another piece of a puzzle
<dd>that

<dd>The above was posted by someone on DJML.&nbsp; There is no way the
<dd>transfer/exchange of music is going to be stopped.&nbsp; People used to copy
<dd>cassettes, now they download music.&nbsp; Anything that is put in force to
<dd>stop such things always receives a quick get-around.&nbsp; DVD's have
<dd>regional differences, and you can go on the net to find out how to
<dd>modify your player to work in someone else's area.&nbsp; Takes a few minutes.
<dd>And, the different formats were laid out to stop people from taking say,
<dd>U.S. DVD's to Europe.&nbsp; (Distribution is different in the two areas for

<dd>I can't imagine how all of this is going to have much of an effect on my
<dd>having a gig tonight or not.&nbsp; Not many jazzers are too worried about
<dd>making a fortune off of their recordings.&nbsp; I love to have our music &quot;out
<dd>there&quot;, and am not concerned about the commercial aspect.&nbsp; The big names
<dd>in music, and the record companies themselves, will just have to look to
<dd>find a new way to make a buck.&nbsp; Maybe they'll have to perform in public

<dd>Jim

<dd>Dixielandjazz mailing list
<dd><a href="mailto:Dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com">Dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com</a>