[Dixielandjazz] Music changes because of technology!

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:53:36 +0100

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Music changes because of technology!
>An excerpt from a New York Time's article, another piece of a puzzle
that
>effects all of our music including OKOM.

The above was posted by someone on DJML.  There is no way the
transfer/exchange of music is going to be stopped.  People used to copy
cassettes, now they download music.  Anything that is put in force to
stop such things always receives a quick get-around.  DVD's have
regional differences, and you can go on the net to find out how to
modify your player to work in someone else's area.  Takes a few minutes.
And, the different formats were laid out to stop people from taking say,
U.S. DVD's to Europe.  (Distribution is different in the two areas for
films, and the studios were concerned.)

I can't imagine how all of this is going to have much of an effect on my
having a gig tonight or not.  Not many jazzers are too worried about
making a fortune off of their recordings.  I love to have our music "out
there", and am not concerned about the commercial aspect.  The big names
in music, and the record companies themselves, will just have to look to
find a new way to make a buck.  Maybe they'll have to perform in public
like the rest of us!  :>

Jim