[Dixielandjazz] Who to leave my recordings to?

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:42:37 -0800

I have 3 grown kids, all of whom are musicians but only one of whom is
marginally interested in OKOM.  She'll probably get a good chunk of my
collection when I move on, but I intend to make sure three or four close
musical friends get a limited number of first picks before she takes
everything (assuming she wants everything).

If the idea is to have people who will enjoy it listen to your music, and
to expose more people to OKOM, I really think the way to go is the public
library system, rather than university.  I suspect, and will attract flame
for writing this, that university kids will tend to listen to what's
available when it fits their curriculums (is that a word?), whereas old and
young alike can access and borrow from the good old public library.

In my neck of the woods, southwestern Canada, the public libraries have
music lending collections.  The New Westminster library, which is my
favourite, has tons of CD's of all genres, lots of LP's (although they
aren't so prominently displayed anymore) and racks of cassette tapes.  They
also lend videos, and now I see they're edging into DVD's.  You can borrow
up to 10 of each audio medium at a time, for 2 weeks.  Surrey has a big
collection too, somewhat less well-cared-for, but you can keep them 3
weeks.  Vancouver is somewhat more restrictive, I think you can have 2 at a
time, for 1 week.   Vancouver does, however, have a great collection of
"long-hair" scores you can borrow.

David (in Delta)