[Dixielandjazz] Re: Favorite Tuba-Solo

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:47:45 -0600

>From: "paolo d'amore" <flicorno@tiscali.it>
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] FINAL. THE COMPLETE LIST OF BEST-FAVORITES of DJML
>Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:17:14 +0100
>
>sorry listmates,
>but i cannot find your tuba favourite solo.  :)
>
>paolo "boycott double bass" d'amore
Paolo and others--
    I'm glad you asked this question, because i'm going to have to try to answer it.  Unfortunately, i get to mention only one solo.
    Off the top of my head (not sure how you would translate that to Italian, sorry), and away from my recordings (i'm ostensibly at work), i'd have to go with Rich Matteson's helicon-solo on "Avalon" with Louis Armstrong and the Dukes of Dixieland.  If you'd like to hear this song in its entirety on the web, go to http://user.icx.net/~bcassady/music.html#ld and click on "Avalon":

"Selection Two:	"Louis' trumpet playing on Avalon is superb. There is his perfectly organized solo (during which Frankie Assunto watched him, as if in a trance, with a dazed smile on his face)." The tuba (actually a helicon) solo by Rich Matteson is unbelievable! And Louis - belying his age - takes the final rideout up an octave - something he learned in Chicago while on a break from playing. It seems that everyone else was ignoring the second band, but Louis listened to their trumpet player, who rode the final chorus up an octave. Louis started doing it, and it became one of his trademarks.
Listen to Avalon (Real Audio)"

    Dan

P. S. I'm not going to mention the other fine solos by Dave Gannett, Dan Marcus, Westy Westenhoffer, Lowell Miller, Country Washburne, and numerous others.  (This is an example of using the word 'apophasis' ("mentioning something by saying it won't be mentioned:  We won't mention his filthy habits.", cf. _Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary_.)