[Dixielandjazz] Chimin' in on Dick Oakley

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:28:19 EST

--part1_139.1805e0f5.2b138d83_boundary

In a message dated 11/24/02 10:27:18 PM Central Standard Time,
ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Folks--
>      Dan here again, ready to leap out once more clothed in yet
> another gleaming suit of ignorance.  To (or perhaps, half) wit:
>      Just bought a CD that has both Bobby Hackett's and Jack
> Teagarden's groups on it, from live concerts in 1957 and 1958.
> Teagarden has a trumpet player with him that i like a lot, named Dick
> Oakley, who reminds me at times of either Don Goldie or Dick
> Cathcart, but has plenty of his own originality.  Great stuff.
>      So how many 'Oakley's are out there?  Bill, Leon, and now Dick;
> related?  Casual searching on the web reveals that Dick Oakley played
> with the Salt City (Five and/or Six), and once with Dave Remington.
> Any other bands he was with?
>      Thanks.
>
>      Dan

    Nice to read of this inquiry on an old friend, Dick Oakley.  Dick is
indeed a fine trumpet/cornetist who also plays nice valve trombone.  Dick
preceeded Don goldie on Jack Teagarden's band.  Dick also worked around
Chicago and he and I had a band together that we called the Survivors.  We
were all survivors of bands that had folded or died off.  He also worked in
the Jazz LTd. Band in Chicago, either before or after Don Ingle.

   One gig we had in a big open two level place.  We were up in the balcony
with a bandstand there and there was a huge swing which went out over the
open area.  One of the girls working there would get out on it.  Dick was
fearless and he would get on it with his horn and wail away on that swing.

  Dick Oakley is a very fine and tasty player.  Say hello to him for me.

  Jim Beebe

--part1_139.1805e0f5.2b138d83_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/24/02 10:27:18 PM Central Standard Time, ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Folks--<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dan here again, ready to leap out once more clothed in yet <BR>
another gleaming suit of ignorance.&nbsp; To (or perhaps, half) wit:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Just bought a CD that has both Bobby Hackett's and Jack <BR>
Teagarden's groups on it, from live concerts in 1957 and 1958. <BR>
Teagarden has a trumpet player with him that i like a lot, named Dick <BR>
Oakley, who reminds me at times of either Don Goldie or Dick <BR>
Cathcart, but has plenty of his own originality.&nbsp; Great stuff.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So how many 'Oakley's are out there?&nbsp; Bill, Leon, and now Dick; <BR>
related?&nbsp; Casual searching on the web reveals that Dick Oakley played <BR>
with the Salt City (Five and/or Six), and once with Dave Remington. <BR>
Any other bands he was with?<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dan</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Nice to read of this inquiry on an old friend, Dick Oakley.&nbsp; Dick is indeed a fine trumpet/cornetist who also plays nice valve trombone.&nbsp; Dick preceeded Don goldie on Jack Teagarden's band.&nbsp; Dick also worked around Chicago and he and I had a band together that we called the Survivors.&nbsp; We were all survivors of bands that had folded or died off.&nbsp; He also worked in the Jazz LTd. Band in Chicago, either before or after Don Ingle.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; One gig we had in a big open two level place.&nbsp; We were up in the balcony with a bandstand there and there was a huge swing which went out over the open area.&nbsp; One of the girls working there would get out on it.&nbsp; Dick was fearless and he would get on it with his horn and wail away on that swing.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Dick Oakley is a very fine and tasty player.&nbsp; Say hello to him for me.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_139.1805e0f5.2b138d83_boundary--