[Dixielandjazz] CD Storage

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:24:00 -0500

Since we have a thread re LP storage, how about *serious* CD storage?

I'm coping with ca. 1850 in a variety of ways. I don't have the wall space
for large shelf units--I've seen single and double units almost 6' high
advertised in the latest Collectors' Choice catalog.

1.They used to sell thin wooden veneered units with 3 plastic ridged
drawers; 30 CDs per drawer. Disadvantage: the plastic back of the drawers
weren't really thick enough to support a fully loaded drawer opened all the
way out, especially when they're full of 2-cd boxes. Haven't seen these
anyplace in years. Got 4.

2. Then there were all-plastic black 3-drawer units that are bulkier than
the above, and hold significantly fewer CDs, plus the last CD in the drawer
is hard to get out, and the drawers are hard to get out if the last CD is
there. Got 4.

3. I found a couple of well-built wooden units that would be fine except
that they only hold 2 rows of CDs and the drawers aren't held securly in
the back, so one can't pull them far enough out to get to the CDs in back.
There are no ridges at the bottom, so one can pack more CDs, including 3-4
CD boxes, in them.

4. I compacted many CDs by buying 2-CD jewel boxes, which are fine if you
have a lot of sets or multiple CDs by some artists, or similar
compilations, and certainly are good replacemenets for the 3-4 CD boxes
unless the booklets are really thick or over-sized like the Mosaic books or
some of the books in the tall skinny boxes.

5. I had to make further compromises. I need the drawers for easy access to
CDs I use for reference, and jewel boxes in drawers are best for frequent
use. Any CDs I might wanna weed need to be in jewel boxes. So the CDs of
modern bands or that I just have for listening now and again, I put into
albums. There's usually space for all the paperwork. and each page usually
holds 8 CDs, 4 per side.

6. Some are in envelopes with glassine fronts. So far I only use these for
CDs in the several travel kits I can take on gigs to play during breaks. I
can have more CDs per kit, and it takes just a few seconds to shuffle
through the envelopes to find what I want. (re the reference CDs, I need to
see the CDs titles on the edge of the jewel boxes, and the album CDs are no
problem to find by flipping pages)

Any one seen any better methods advertised? Bright ideas?

Oh yeah, I reiterate my offer to send my catalog databases to anyone who
wants them. They're .dbf files that will import into spreadsheets such as
EXCEL, as well as many database programs. Details on the cpcug.org website
in my signature.

Thanks.
--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Sound Clips, public performances)
eMail: dwlit@cpcug.org