[Dixielandjazz] NNY Lurker says Hello!

John Wolfe n2xbw@northnet.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:42:21 -0500

I've been lurking on this list for a couple of years, on and off.  I thought
I'd jump into the gumbo and say hello.   My name is John Wolfe, and I've
been playing Dixieland more or less all my life.  The first song I ever
mastered by ear on trumpet was "When the Saints go Marching In" at age 10.
That won me a talent show prize (yes, I still have the trophy) and set me on
the "road to ruin".  I also play tenor banjo, guitar, harmonica and do
vocals.  I have a band called Easy Street, gig out a little (all kinds of
jobs), play in the Norwood Brass Firemen Band and serve as president and
webmaster of The Association of North Country Fiddlers.  www.fiddlers.org.
You can see my mug on stage at http://www.fiddlers.org/presnotes1.htm.  I'm
the guy with the guitar.

Here's a shot of me on banjo with the Norwood, NY Brass Firemen Band.
http://humber.northnet.org/norwood/july4th/html/DCP_1481.htm.  I've been a
Brass Fireman on banjo, and valve brass for nearly 30 years.  We play a
style we call "Dixieland North".   It's 100% head arrangements; true JAZZ.
We have a huge (for here) local following. You can listen to us at
http://humber.northnet.org/norwood/brass.html.  All of the banjo work you
hear on these mp3s is by me.  Many trumpet and baritone solos, too.

A good place to hear me play trumpet is the beginning trumpet solo on "Bill
Bailey".  I constantly switch between banjo and trumpet while I play;
sometimes baritone horn, too.  Well...it makes my life interesting.

Take a moment, if you have it, to read the history of our band.  We've had
some amazing gigs over the years, including the NY State Assembly floor, The
halls of the US Congress, the Whitehouse Lawn, '80 and '84 Winter Olympics,
and 2 US Presidential Inaugurations.  What's most amazing is that we're a
tiny 100% volunteer band (20+), attached to the Vol. Fire Department of a
tiny village in the most remote part of Northern NY State (think CANADA).

Now that I'm retired from 30+ years of public school teaching, I'm looking
for more OKOM (and other) gigs.  I'm willing to travel if the gig's
worthwhile.  I'd be pleased to read your comments on list or off.

Keep on a-Huffin...
Johnny "Big-Bad" Wolfe
n2xbw@northnet.org
315-384-4668