[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [TPIN] Glenn Fischthal's horn's stolen

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:53:09 +0000

Hello all,

Bob Roman's post recalled an incident that happened to me many years ago. It
is possible to get the item(s) back - but not very likely.

Anyway, I was driving Bob Ringwald home from a a gig we had just played. Bob
didn't have a drivers license because he couldn't read the eyechart!

We stopped at a pub where a friend was playing piano to have a beer and say
"hello."

When we returned to the car we found it had been broken into and Bob's banjo
had been stolen. We reported it stolen but nothing much happened until one
day about a week later one of my students, knowing I played guitar, asked me
if I would be interested in buying a banjo.  I happened to be teaching
English at the time in a high school about a mile from the pub where the
banjo was stolen.

I really wasn't interested and was about to say "No thanks" when something
told me that perhaps I ought to take a look at it. Bob's banjo was very
distinctive with some intricate carvings on the neck down near the body of
the banjo. So I said "Yeah, I would . . . bring it around and let me see
it."

The next day the kid brought Bob's banjo to me and asked for 25 dollars!

I was flabbergasted!  Here this little jerk stole an expensive banjo from my
car and then tries to sell it back to me for 25 bucks!

We went to the principals office and notified the authorities who sorted
things out fairly fast. When the cops when to the kids house they found a
lot of stolen items (tv sets, car radios, etc.).

Small world!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

ps - Bob tells me that the banjo was subsequently stolen from him again when
he moved to Los Angeles. He never saw it again. But Kurt Abell (banjo player
in the Cell Block 7) recently bought a banjo on e-Bay (I think) that looks
very much like Bob's old banjo.  You never know . . .

-bg