[Dixielandjazz] FINAL. THE COMPLETE LIST OF BEST-FAVORITES of DJML

lUIS dANIEL Flores luda@arnet.com.ar
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:02:09 -0300

Favorites- Best Solos In Jazz - from DJML

There were 65 different mails on this subject. Two persons did not see any
good reason to make this kind of selection. However most of the list mates
seem to enjoy it, one of them wrote:
``I enjoy questions about peoples' favorite things, because I
learn about new records to watch for, or am reminded of what I have
forgotten. They give me specific direction when browsing my CD collection,
which, of course, has many items suggested by such questions in the
past...``
--Sheik

                                                        THE LIST:
    Four votes:
1. Bunny Berigan   Can't Get Started With You

Three votes:
2. Teagarden     lover
3. Bix      Singing The Blues
4. Coleman Hawkins    Body & Soul  (the 1939 version)

Two votes:
5. Bix + Whiteman   Sweet Sue
6. Armstrong/Hines   Weatherbird
7. Armstrong & J. Dodds  Potato Head Blues
8. Bob Scoby+ Clancy Hayes All The Wrongs You've Done
9. Gene Krupa     Sing Sing Sing

one vote:
10. Teagarden    Body and Soul
11. Teagarden     Mighty Like a Rose
12. Teagarden    Prince of Wails
13. Teagarden    Jack Hits the Road
14. Armstrong    Cornet Chop Suey
15. Armstrong     west end blues
16. Armstrong    swing that music
17. Johnny Hodges            Things Ain't What They Used to Be
18. Johnny Hodges    Daydream
19. Johnny Hodges   Never No Lament
20. Jabbo Smith+Ellington  Black and Tan Fantasie
21. Bubber Miley+Ellington  Black and Tan Fantasie,1928
22. Adelaide Hall+Ellington  Blues I Love to Sing
23. Adelaide Hall   Creole Love Call
24. Joe Oliver     Dippermouth Blues (1923)
25. Joe Oliver    Wa Wa Wa
26. Red Allen + J. Oliver    Mule Face Blues
27. Bix  + Goldkette   Clementine
28. Bix     Ostrich Walk
29. George Lewis   Burgundy Street Blues
30. George Lewis +Bunk Jonnson Tiger Rag
31. Bunk Johnson   New Iberia Blues
32. Charlie Parker   Night In   Tunisia
33. Charlie Parker   Embraceable You
34. Miff Mole + Red and Miff Stompers   Hurricane
35. Miff Mole    Peg of My Heart
36. Billy Butterfield + Artie Shaw Stardust
37. Billy Butterfield   What's New
38. Rex Stewart    Slap Happy, 1938
39. Rex Stewart    Menelik the Lion, 1938
40. Muggsy Spanier   Relaxing at the Touro
41. Muggsy Spanier   Lonesome Road
42. Wild Bill Davison   How Come You Do Me
43. Wild Bill Davison    I can't give you anything but love
44. Dukes`Freddy Assunto  Slide Frog Slide
45.  Dukes`Freddy Assunto   Georgia Camp
46. Pee Wee     One Two Three Blues
47. Pee Wee     Old Folks
48. Lonnie Johnson    Savoy Blues (L.A. Hot Five)
49. Cap'n John Handy    Ice Cream
50. J.C. Higginbotham     Panama
51. Bob Haggart    Big Noise  from winnetka
52. Lu Magarity (Condon album here'll Be Some Changes Made
53. Ed. Hall    It`S Been So Long
54. Picou     High Society
55. L.Hampton    Stardust
56. Bob Williams    Yeah, We Got Your dixieland
57. Sydney Bechet   Summertime
58. Duke Heitger    swing that music
59. James P. Johnson    Snowy Morning Blues
60. Eddie Miller    Love's got me in a lazy mood
61. Lee Gifford    Fight the Team-Across the Field
62. Billy Maxted    Need It Be Named
63. Tommy Dorsey    Marie
64. Dickie Wells + Cecil Scott   Springfield Stomp
65. Omer Simeon +Jelly Roll Morton  Doctor Jazz
66. Joe Yukl (the Mad Russian) Body and Soul
67. Paul Desmonds+Dave Brubeck Take Five
68. Irving Fasola    March of the Bobcats
69. Dizzy Gillespie    I Can't Get Started

Best- favorites PIANOS solos:
   Two votes:
1. Thelonious Monk   Bag's Groove
2. Jelly Roll Morton   Mamanita

One vote:
3. Art Tatum    Willow Weep For Me (1949)
4. Art Tatum    Too Marvelous For Words (1956)
5. Art Tatum    Tiger Rag
6. Jelly Roll Mortin   Froggy More
7. Jelly Roll Morton   Harmony Blues, 1920
8. Jelly Roll Morton   My Melancholy Baby
9. Stanley Cowell    You Took Advantage Of Me
10. Fats Waller     Keepin Out of Mischief Now
11. Fats Waller    Ain't Got Nobody. circa 1937
12. Jess Stacy    sing sing sing
13. Jess Stacy or Wilson  One O'Clock Jump, 1938
14. Teddy Wilson+ B. Goodman Body & Soul, 1935.
15. Pee Wee Hunt     12th St Rag

· Brian Towers choose by instrument and qualities:
Trumpet/cornet:    Cornet Chop Suey    Louis Armstrong   - tone, rhythm,
creativity, soul
Clarinet                 Burgundy Street Blues   George Lewis  - soul and
emotion
Tenor Sax             Body & Soul  (the 1939 version)  Coleman Hawkins -
tone, rhythm, creativity, soul
Guitar                     Savoy Blues (L.A. Hot Five) Lonnie Johnson    -
Alto sax                  Ice Cream              Cap'n John Handy   -
exuberance, rhythm, power and stamina
Trombone             Panama                  J.C. Higginbotham  - power,
rhythm, technique, originality
Drums                   Sing Sing Sing       Gene Krupa              -
swinging rhythm
String bass           Big Noise  from Winnetka   Bob Haggart - originality
and great rhythm

I should let you know that some of the list mates chose one or more than one
solos.

LUIS DANIEL FLORES
ARGENTINA

---