[Dixielandjazz] Jess Stacy -- Barry Manilow

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:57:09 -0800

I once asked Jess what he felt like working that '38 Carnegie Hall concert.
He said that he was the first musician to walk out on the stage & he was
scared to death.  He said that he played however many numbers he was
involved in & then went he went off the stage, ran to a little bar around
the corner & had a few belts.

I lived in Los Angeles for 17 years (which was 18 years too long).  While
there, I worked, playing piano bar, in a restaurant named Leon's Steak House
in N. Hollywood at Magnolia & Vineland.  I heard that both Jess & Barry
Magnolia had worked there before me.  Does anyone know if this is true?

BTW- Jess was a really nice guy.

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band