[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jess Stacy

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:50:22 +1100

Dear Fred,
Regarding: >If you want to see Jess as a member of the BG Quartet, watch for the
1944 movie, "Sweet and Lowdown", on TV.<
If only!!
8>)
I have been waiting for years to see this film, made in Feb 1944 and released by
20th Century-Fox in Sept 1944.
Among other goodies, it contains "The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise" by the
Quartet (with Jess). A great version, so I have been told.
So far as I can find (apart from a V-Disc of "Rachel's Dream", which I have on
LP) nothing from the soundtrack recordings has ever been released on LP/CD.
Maybe now that it has been mentioned on the DJML, TCM will (coincidentally)
decide to play it.
If only!!!!
Although not much good to Australians, as our TCM programs (Foxtel/Optus cable)
do not seem to be broadcast at the same time as the US.
Kind regards,
Bill.