[Dixielandjazz] "Jeep" (not much OKOM content)

David Richoux tubaman@batnet.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:24:31 -0800

As a member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Society ( yet another=20=

hobby to keep me too busy ;-) I will have to correct you on this one -=20=

the history of name of the vehicle that has become commonly known as=20
the Jeep is WAY more complicated than that - several books and many=20
magazine articles have been written about this subject and I think=20
there have been more than a few patent or copyright cases!

But the "Eugene the Jeep"  from the Popeye The Sailor "Thimble Theater"=20=

strip was first by a long shot. (March 3rd 1936 -  check out=20
http://www.geocities.com/jeeptoys/eugene.htm )

There are also many websites that will argue the history of the name=20
into excruciating detail (and you thought "jazz" was hard to pin=20
down...) and so many legends out of WW2 have been widespread and=20
accepted as gospel so I won't go too deep on the Jeep.

for a relatively accurate quick history of the military=20
Bantam/Peep/Jeep I suggest a look at
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_man/bantam.htm but that=20=

is just one person's opinion ;-)

anyway, as far as I know I don't have a jazz nickname (but if they=20
haven't told me by now, I guess I will never know.)

Dave Richoux