[Dixielandjazz] New Movie-studio musicians

Rob McCallum rakmccallum@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:08:52 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C28CA8.253DD9C0

Hello all,

Though this is not OKOM, it may be of interest to all of the unheralded =
sidemen out there.

A new documentary is being released today called Standing in the Shadows =
of Motown, which is all about the men behind the Motown big wigs, =
lovingly called the Funk Brothers, who were responsible for the creation =
of the Motown sound.  The movie features my friend Joe Hunter (pianist =
who took Smokey Robinson on his first tour and can be heard on many of =
those old Motown tunes), as well as Pistol Allen (the great jazz drummer =
who passed away only a few months back.  He would love to show up at the =
peak of a jam session, play Cherokee way way up tempo, and leave - =
drummers!!!).  Many of the studio guys from Motown are outstanding jazz =
players, and some, like Joe Hunter, can still be heard around Detroit =
from time to time (I met him when he was the house pianist at one of =
Chuck Muer's restaurants.  I didn't know who he was and I requested =
Round Midnight.  Happy that someone in the restaurant was actually =
listening to the piano, he played a wonderful rendition).  Afterwards I =
used to hang out at a musicians bar in Hamtramck called The Rhythm Room =
where he played with tenor man Big Bob Fennell.  Joe would humor me with =
stories about touring and playing at such places as the Apollo Theatre =
with a Motown Revue of sorts in which his name was listed on the marquee =
and many were expecting Ivory Joe Hunter!  With characteristic good =
humor he announced that he was Joe Hunter and was going to play the =
ivories for them.  Such is the life of a sideman.

Anyway, I haven't yet seen this film, but the review is 4 out of 5 =
stars.  It's good to see some players getting some long deserved =
recognition.

For anyone who would like to read the article, the url is

www.detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0211/15/e01-10803.htm=20

All the best,

Rob McCallum
Eastpointe Jazz Society

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C28CA8.253DD9C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Though this is not OKOM, it&nbsp;may be =
of interest=20
to all of the unheralded sidemen out there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A new documentary is being released =
today called=20
Standing in the Shadows of Motown, which is all about the men behind the =
Motown=20
big wigs, lovingly called the Funk Brothers, who were responsible for =
the=20
creation of the Motown sound.&nbsp; The movie features my friend Joe =
Hunter=20
(pianist who took Smokey Robinson on his first tour and can be heard on =
many of=20
those old Motown tunes), as well as Pistol Allen (the great jazz drummer =
who=20
passed away only a few months back.&nbsp; He would love to show up at =
the peak=20
of a jam session, play Cherokee way way up tempo, and leave -=20
drummers!!!).&nbsp; Many of the studio guys from Motown are outstanding =
jazz=20
players, and some, like Joe Hunter, can still be heard around Detroit =
from time=20
to time (I met him when he was the house pianist at one of Chuck Muer's=20
restaurants.&nbsp; I didn't know who he was and I requested Round=20
Midnight.&nbsp; Happy that someone in the restaurant was actually =
listening to=20
the piano, he played a wonderful rendition).&nbsp; Afterwards I used to =
hang out=20
at a musicians bar in Hamtramck called The Rhythm&nbsp;Room where he =
played with=20
tenor man Big Bob Fennell.&nbsp; Joe would humor me with =
stories&nbsp;about=20
touring and playing at such places as the Apollo Theatre with a Motown =
Revue of=20
sorts in which his&nbsp;name was listed on the marquee and many were =
expecting=20
Ivory Joe Hunter!&nbsp;&nbsp;With characteristic good humor he announced =
that he=20
was Joe Hunter and was going to play the ivories for them.&nbsp; Such is =
the=20
life of a sideman.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, I haven't yet seen this film, =
but the=20
review is 4 out of 5 stars.&nbsp; It's good to see some players getting =
some=20
long deserved recognition.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For anyone who would like to read the =
article, the=20
url is</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0211/15/e01-10803.htm">=
www.detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0211/15/e01-10803.htm</A>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rob McCallum</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Eastpointe Jazz Society</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C28CA8.253DD9C0--