[Dixielandjazz] NY, NY

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams@eds.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:13:33 -0600

Damn.  I wish I'd thoughta that when I had a band.

- Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Gunter [mailto:jazzboard@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:05 AM
To: robert.c.williams@EDS.COM; kash@ran.es;
dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] NY, NY

Bob "Modest Guy" Williams implores (regarding "New York New York"):

>Please, for the love of God, don't play that awful tune!

But, if you must play it you have to start with that lovely intro . . .

Dum dum dah-de dum
Dum dum dah-de dum
Dum dum dah-de dum
DUM!

Some songs are practically defined by their introductory phrase such as:

Canal Street Blues
Milenburg Joys
Fidgety Feet
Bourbon Street Parade
and so on . . .

Wouldn't it be fun to mix these up from time to time? For instance, play the

intro to Canal Street Blues and then launch into Wolverine Blues . . . or
perhaps use the standard NYNY intro and then play some other tune ("Mama's
Gone Goodbye" for example) - That'd really confuse the punters!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Start Spreading the News" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com