[Dixielandjazz] WQhistling & Maxted

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:35:13 -0500

Fred Spencer wrote: (polite snip)

"These are a few thoughts about some of  the topics that awaited me on
my return from  a "Big Apple" trip."

"Whistling - On an audiocassette, "Jazz Kings Immortals. Pee Wee Erwin
and his Dixieland All Stars (Jazz Kings - JKC-1202), Side 2 has a
whistling introduction to "Pagan Love Song". I believe the personnel is
Pee Wee Erwin - trumpet, Andy Russo - trombone, Sal Pace - clarinet,
Billy Maxted - piano, Charles Traeger - string bass, and Tony Spargo
(Sbabaro) drums. My assumption is that Spargo whistles, mainly because
the phrasing is sinilar to his later kazoo choruses. Whether he does
this "au naturel" or with some appliance is difficult for me to say.
Perhaps someone with younger and sharper ears may be able to decide
this. Spargo, of course, was the ODJB drummer. My information comes
partly from Warren Vache Sr's Erwin biography, "This Horn for Hire".
Maxted - "

FRED &  LISTMATES -
I don't have the tape, but the whistler could be Chuck Traeger, the
bassist. Chuck was the house bassist at Nick's for years and also when
Maxted and/or Erwin were there. One of his "feature" numbers was "Big
Noise From Winnetka" and he did a masterful whistling job on that with
almost every drummer who appeared at Nick's. He had the "New York"
whistling style down pat, teeth bared, tongue between teeth, air pushed
through from the back of mouth. Gives a shrill thin whistling sound. Or
a duet with Spargo?

"On the same tape, Billy Maxted plays some stomping choruses, with a
strong left hand. Was he known for his bass power?"

FRED & LISTMATES -
Maxted had a very powerful style, with both hands. Not sure if he was
known for it, but I sure heard strong left hand every time I saw him at
Nick's. The band personnel you mention above were at Nick's frequently
and I gigged with all of them at one time or another except Spargo.

In those days, (1948-1962 with a short break for military service) I was
a gigging buddy of Chuck Traeger who is now retired and living in a
small country home in the Catskill Mountains of New York State. He and
wife June had a pad at 35 Christopher Street, right around the corner
from Nick's and I spent a good portion of my spare time either there, or
at Nick's, Condon's or Ryan's. (as well as Birdland, Onyx, Famous Door,
3 Deuces etc.)

Those were happy, carefree, musical times and I was lucky to be there.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone