[Dixielandjazz] Re: the best solo in jazz

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:54:26 -0800

I was initially under the impression all the discussion on this list would
be Dixieland related, but it seems as if the discussions cover jazz in
various forms up to 1940 or so.  With that in mind, I'm going to nominate a
few solos by Ellingtonians and one by Goodman's drummer as very good jazz
solos.  I hesitate to say "best," because that is a matter of taste.  I
just know I like each of these very much; it is probably Creole Love Call
that I listen to most often.

I don't know if Duke qualifies as OKOM, but somebody did write about Hodges
the other day, so I'm assuming it's ok to occasionally mention Ellington
and his people.

1. Adelaide Hall, vocal, Creole Love Call, 1927-Oct 26.
2. Gene Krupa, drums, SIng Sing Sing, with the Benny Goodman band, January
1938 (Carnegie Hall)
3. Rex Stewart, trumpet or cornet, Slap Happy, 1938,
4. Rex Stewart, trumpet or cornet, Menelik the Lion, 1938
5. Jabbo Smith, Black and Tan Fantasie, with the Ellington orchestra (I
think this was 1927 or 1928)
6. Bubber Miley, Black and Tan Fantasie, with the Ellington orchestra
(October 1928)
7. Adelaide Hall, vocal, Blues I Love to Sing, with the Ellington
orchestra, 1927-Oct 26  - there's some sweet soprano sax work on this one,
which I think is by Toby Hardwicke

David in Delta