[Dixielandjazz] Favorite Piano Solos & clarinet

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:03:55 EST

--part1_18f.113ec3df.2b05da3b_boundary

In a message dated 11/14/02 9:39:30 AM Central Standard Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> My first teacher, also a mentor, was Red Nichols, more as a favor to my dad
> than his doing any regular teaching. He lived a few blocks away in Tolucca
> Lake. His was mostly lip building, flexibility exercises and breath
> control.
> He later recommended a women teacher, Jane Sager, who I studied with for
> several years. Great teacher for technical studies.

   Don Ingle, you are very fortunate to have known and studied with Red
Nichols. Red is one of the neglected greats, in my opinion.  Because of some
warped critics red Nichols has always been under a misguided Bix Beiderbecke
cloud.  He was wrongly accused of being a Bix clone but truly Red was his own
man and with his very own distinctive sound and style.  HIs band had a very
distinctive sound and they made so many wonderful records over the years.

  I Met Red in 1952 and he was very kind to me.  I happened to be sitting in
with bob Scobey's band at Vic's and Roxies on Oakland ( I was in the Marines
stationed at Treasure Island, a Navy base out in the Bay and Scobey
graciously would let me sit in with his band).  As I was sitting in with
Scobey, Red Nichols and his whole band walked in and sat right down in front
of the band.  What a thrill.  Red invited me over to sit down with them.
They queried me on my interest in older jazz.  Most young guys then were into
modern jazz.

  Some of my favorite records are the things that Red did with Phil Harris on
Capitol.
Phil Harris sang a blazing "Floatin' down the old Green River" and then Red
and
band broke the tune down to slow time with a hot ensemble.  They also did a
great "Muskrat Ramble.  Another outstanding and little known record was a
Capitol 78 with Kay Starr singing "Flow Gently Sweet Afton" with Red and
band.

Red Nichols, another timeless jazz giant.

Jim Beebe

--part1_18f.113ec3df.2b05da3b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/14/02 9:39:30 AM Central Standard Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">My first teacher, also a mentor, was Red Nichols, more as a favor to my dad<BR>
than his doing any regular teaching. He lived a few blocks away in Tolucca<BR>
Lake. His was mostly lip building, flexibility exercises and breath control.<BR>
He later recommended a women teacher, Jane Sager, who I studied with for<BR>
several years. Great teacher for technical studies. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Don Ingle, you are very fortunate to have known and studied with Red Nichols. Red is one of the neglected greats, in my opinion.&nbsp; Because of some warped critics red Nichols has always been under a misguided Bix Beiderbecke cloud.&nbsp; He was wrongly accused of being a Bix clone but truly Red was his own man and with his very own distinctive sound and style.&nbsp; HIs band had a very distinctive sound and they made so many wonderful records over the years. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; I Met Red in 1952 and he was very kind to me.&nbsp; I happened to be sitting in with bob Scobey's band at Vic's and Roxies on Oakland ( I was in the Marines stationed at Treasure Island, a Navy base out in the Bay and Scobey graciously would let me sit in with his band).&nbsp; As I was sitting in with Scobey, Red Nichols and his whole band walked in and sat right down in front of the band.&nbsp; What a thrill.&nbsp; Red invited me over to sit down with them.&nbsp; They queried me on my interest in older jazz.&nbsp; Most young guys then were into modern jazz.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Some of my favorite records are the things that Red did with Phil Harris on Capitol.<BR>
Phil Harris sang a blazing "Floatin' down the old Green River" and then Red and <BR>
band broke the tune down to slow time with a hot ensemble.&nbsp; They also did a great "Muskrat Ramble.&nbsp; Another outstanding and little known record was a Capitol 78 with Kay Starr singing "Flow Gently Sweet Afton" with Red and band.<BR>
<BR>
Red Nichols, another timeless jazz giant.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_18f.113ec3df.2b05da3b_boundary--