[Dixielandjazz] Bird and Camarillo State Hospital

Don Kirkman donkirk@covad.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:12:14 -0800

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:07:03 -0500, Stephen Barbone wrote:

>NOT OKOM-LONG POST-DELETE IF YOU ARE NOT A BIRD WATCHER.

>Bill Haesler is right, I posted the question about whether Bird was in
>jail or not, for several reasons. One of which was to disprove the
>theory that he was called Yardbird because of his "jail' time. Logical
>as that may sound, it is pure bunk. Parker was never convicted of
>anything as far as I know and did not serve any jail time other than a
>short stay with the police in California, long after he was "nick" named
>Bird. The following is from reliable sources, too varied to list.

[...]

>Now, for Camarillo State Hospital, here is some of its' history via
>google. Once again Bill Haesler is correct in his assessment of what
>Camarillo was: (It was not a jail)

>"Back in 1936, the state built the Camarillo hospital in what was then a
>rural area separated from the nearest towns. Foothills, wide grassy
>areas and rock formations isolated the facility, whose
>Spanish-style buildings included a labyrinth of rooms, hallways,
>stairwells, courtyards, patios and a bell tower.

[...]

Thanks for the solid information, Steve.  I posted a short note
yesterday from memory, and missed pretty badly.

I do remember that the children's unit that you mention did some
pioneering psychiatric work.

Music setting:  "You, You're Making Me Crazy."

[...]
--
Don
donkirk@covad.net