[Dixielandjazz] Relaxin' at Camarillo

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton@eds.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:19:48 -0600

I knew somebody who was committed to the state hospital at Camarillo for a
few years. I visited this person a couple of times and had a good look at
the place.

It was the institution of last resort for many who were rejected elsewhere
in the state. Nearly all of the "residents" were there involuntarily. Most
of them were dysfunctional and severely disturbed. There was little if any
personal freedom, and much abuse at the hands of other "residents."

Sounds a lot like jail to me. That someone can spend time in a place like
this and retain his sanity amazes me.