[Dixielandjazz] Re: Eddie Miller, clarinet. (was Favorite Piano Solos & clarinet)

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:44:50 +1100

Dear Jim,
Here I am again - and on one of my favourite subjects.
Eddie Miller, clarinet.
When I met him 1979, someone asked. "Did you record much on clarinet".
His reply was "Not really".
However, when I mentioned some he seemed quite surprised.
He did not realise Australians even knew who he was!
He recorded on clarinet with Ben Pollack (1931-33) Wingy Manone (1935) , Louis
Prima (1934-35) and the Crosby band.
I had always intended to make a list with a radio program in mind, but never
did.
Perhaps now is the time. With some DJML help.
Starting with Louis Prima: House Rent Party Day, It's The Rhythm In Me, Worry
Blues, Bright Eyes, Put On An Old Pair Of Shoes, Sugar Is Sweet and So Are You.

Then to Bob Crosby: South Rampart St Parade, Dogtown Blues, Stumbling, Fidgety
Feet, Wolverine Blues.
Then Faz joined the band!
I will have to play the Pollack's and Manone's to refresh my memory. More later.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I found Mr Miller (a left-hander incidentally - an earlier thread) to be a
most charming and gentle man.
Like most New Orleans people I have met.