[Dixielandjazz] Favorite Piano Solos & clarinet

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:26:58 -0600

Lou Shimbart said:

> [...]
clarinet though it seems Irving Fazola played the rest at that session
14/03/1938 so I presume the Bobcats must have recorded it again.<<<

     If you have one of the old original Decca 78's, the label says Matty
Matlock on clarinet....but it's WRONG!
     Every musician around New Orleans knew it was really Fazola.  I asked
Fazola why someone else's name was on the label.......it was obviously a
sore subject with him.  He said Decca had a lot of recordings of the Bob
Crosby band on file, and some clerk at Decca had used the personnel list
they had on file for a previous recording by the Bobcats.
    Pat Cooke