[Dixielandjazz] Favorite Piano Solos

George Thurmond gmthur@delrio.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:10:25 -0600

    Count me with Sterve Barbone on two of his fovorites - Jess Stacy's
simple, haunting solo on Benny Goodman's One O'Clock Jump at the 1938
concert - amazing what a strong left hand and a very few well chosen notes
with the right can do.  My point - it doesn't take a run of 16th notes and
strange scales to craft a memorable solo.

    And Jelly's work on Mamanita - I'm hooked on that Spanish tinge!

    Finally, I forgot to add agreat clarinet solo on my earlier post.
Irving Fazola's on the Bobcats "March of the Bobcats".  Many have tried to
copy or duplicate it, but none, to my ears, ever got it like Faz.

George Thurmond