[Dixielandjazz] Best/favourite Piano Solo

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:40:15 -0000

Mike is a Morton nut which is not a bad thing to be and explains his choice.
I see that he has refined the subject line to favourite piano solos, which
puts me in some difficulty as I cannot come up with one which I prefer above
all others.

With that in mind, my contribution to this thread is as follows :

Anything played by Tatum.
Most Lou Busch (aka Joe "Fingers" Carr) solos except the honkytonk stuff -
Busch was a simply amazing straight ahead jazz player.
Peterson playing alone (without drums & bass)
All Marvin Ash solos
Most of Don Ewell
Stanley Cowell playing You Took Advantage Of Me on the LP "Blues For The
Viet Cong"

And that just scratches the surface, there are many, many more. How can it
be possible to pick just one?

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net