[Dixielandjazz] Favorite Jazz Solos

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:48:05 -0600

     Yeah, well, what can i say?  Here are what some of us named as
our favorite (not to say, 'the best') jazz solos.  I compiled this
because a) i want to find and listen to the ones i don't have, and b)
i like lists (shocker, eh?).  Dan

Red Allen		Mule Face Blues (with King Oliver and his Orchestra)

Louis Armstrong		West end blues
Louis Armstrong		Blues turning gray over you
Louis Armstrong		Potato Head Blues
Louis Armstrong		Swing that music
Louis Armstrong		Weatherbird
Louis Armstrong		Cornet Chop Suey

Freddy Assunto		Slide Frog Slide
Freddy Assunto		Georgia Camp

Sydney Bechet 		Summertime

Bix Beiderbecke		Sweet Sue (with Whiteman)
Bix Beiderbecke		Clementine (with Goldkette)
Bix Beiderbecke		Singing the Blues
Bix Beiderbecke		Ostrich Walk

Bunny Berrigan		I can't get started
Bunny Berrigan		Marie (with Tommy Dorsey)

Billy Butterfield	Stardust (with Artie Shaw)
Billy Butterfield	What's New

Wild Bill Davison	I can't give you anything but love
Wild Bill Davison	How Come You Do Me (with the Condon Mob)

Lee Gifford		Fight the Team (on Billy Maxted's "Need It Be Named?)

Bob Haggart		Big Noise  from Winnetka

Lionel Hampton		Stardust

Cap'n John Handy	Ice Cream

Coleman Hawkins		Body and Soul (the 1939 version)

J.C. Higginbotham	Panama

Bunk Johnson		New Iberia Blues (on American Music)

James P. Johnson	Snowy Morning Blues

Lonnie Johnson		Savoy Blues (L.A. Hot Five)

Gene Krupa		Sing Sing Sing

George Lewis 		Tiger Rag (on American Music with Bunk's Band)
George Lewis		Burgundy Street Blues

Lou McGarity		There'll Be Some Changes Made (Jammin' At Condon's)

Eddie Miller		Love's got me in a lazy mood

Miff Mole		Hurricane (with Red and Miff's Stompers)
Miff Mole		Peg of My Heart (on Jazzology Reissue)

Joe Oliver		Wa Wa Wa
Joe Oliver		Dippermouth Blues (1923)

Pee Wee Russell		One Two Three Blues
Pee Wee Russell		Old Folks

Bob Scoby		All The Wrongs You've Done (Clancy Hayes on the chorus)

Omer Simeon		Doctor Jazz (Jelly Roll Morton and his Red Hot Peppers)

Muggsy Spanier		Relaxin at the Touro (Lonesome Road)

Jack Teagarden		Lover
Jack Teagarden		Mighty Like a Rose
Jack Teagarden		Prince of Wails (Jack Hits the Road, on Columbia)

Art Tatum		Tiger Rag

Dickie Wells		Springfield Stomp (with Cecil Scott and Bright Boys)

Joe Yukl (trombonist, AK.A. the Mad Russian), Body and Soul (on a
late 40's Jump label)

--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "I don't jog.  If I die I want to be sick."  --  Abe Lemons     **