[Dixielandjazz] Diggin' Elvis

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 01:36:02 EST

The only way I can justify this post to the List is to say that Elvis
genuinely liked Dixieland Jazz and had some in at least one movie and on
several recordings.  Years ago when Elvis was in full bloom, I, life most
jazz musicians, despised Elvis and demeaned him at any opportunity. I
considered him a musical lowlife and, of course, I was jealous of him because
most women loved him.  I'm more recent years I came to appreciate him, partly
because when one puts aside jazz prejudices, Elvis's great talent is
undeniable.  Also, in part, to a great jazz guitarist who also does great
Elvis and in so doing got me to see different shades of him.

I recently rented a DVD from Netflix titled, "Elvis, this is the way it was."
 This turned out to be a marvleous look at Elvis in rehearsal and in concert,
cira 1970.  Elvis had given up live performances for several years while
making movies and this film is about his reentry into live shows.  It starts
out with a loose rehearsal with his regular piece group.  This is a lot of
fun as E is very loose and has fun with everything. Throught the rehearsals
it becomes clear that E knows what he is doing. He even plays some decent
piano at one point.  At another rehearsal he goes over his numbers with the
12 backup singers and again he knows what he wants and imparts this clearly
and easily.

Elvis' great charm, his sense of humor, his ear, his voice, his lack of
pomposity and all are very evident.  His back up band is extremely good and
consist of 3 guitars, electric bass, piano and drums.  A larger band and
sometimes strings are added for permormances.  His back up guys seem to be
very close to him, they are very low key and defer to him with a rapt
attention.  His lead guitarist, James Burton and his drummer, Ronnie Tutt,
are both superb.  Tutt deftly catches every move of Elvis and they have a
great rapport in rehearsal and on stage.   Tutt is very impressive in
performance as he matches every move and plays some dazzling breaks which
accompany E's more audacious gyrations.  Elvis, during a song, will often toy
with the drums to see if he can out move him but Tutt never misses.
Tutt, Burton and the group lay down a hell of a groove that is a mix of Rock,
R & B and a bit of country.

This is as tight a group behind a singer as I have ever heard, regardless of
style.  Burton's guitar licks and solos are masterful with a great bluesy
feel.

The live show segments are from various shows during this 1970 tour.  Elvis
gives everything he's got in every show and everything about it is very
impressive and very enjoyable.  I kick myself for not appreciating Elvis when
he was around.

Jim Beebe