[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #309 - 23 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:38:50 EST

--part1_51.270c98a8.2afd186a_boundary

In a message dated 11/8/2002 3:53:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

>  In a message dated 11/7/02 10:39:16 AM Central Standard Time,
> > kash@ran.es writes:
> >

> > Luis wrote:
> >
> > Any way...after a while (2 weeks ?) I`ll make a summary and will send to
> > the
> > list here
> >
> > I CAN see the value in this, but don't like the idea of claiming one
> > particular solo in jazz as being the very best.  There is too much
> > happening all the time to make jazz stop at a particular given solo.
> >
> > Jim

Dan Spink replies:

Jim, think Oscars as the model for this contest. There are categories. Maybe
best technical performance would be one, maybe best melodic, another, I don't
know. But there can be different categories, or criteria, can't there? There
can be one overall, "best performance" award too, but it would have to be
voted on by the members of DJML, wouldn't it?

All the best,

Dan Spink

--part1_51.270c98a8.2afd186a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/8/2002 3:53:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"> In a message dated 11/7/02 10:39:16 AM Central Standard Time,<BR>
&gt; kash@ran.es writes:<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Luis wrote:<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Any way...after a while (2 weeks ?) I`ll make a summary and will send to<BR>
&gt; the<BR>
&gt; list here<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; I CAN see the value in this, but don't like the idea of claiming one<BR>
&gt; particular solo in jazz as being the very best.&nbsp; There is too much<BR>
&gt; happening all the time to make jazz stop at a particular given solo.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Jim<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
Jim, think Oscars as the model for this contest. There are categories. Maybe best technical performance would be one, maybe best melodic, another, I don't know. But there can be different categories, or criteria, can't there? There can be one overall, "best performance" award too, but it would have to be voted on by the members of DJML, wouldn't it?<BR>
<BR>
All the best,<BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink</FONT></HTML>