[Dixielandjazz] the "solo" question - SERIOUS????

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:51:39 +0100

Rebecca wrote:

When this thread started, I thought idea of the "best" solo had to do
with either technical difficulty, or one very inspirational.  I would
like to see a "serious" suggestion based on these aspects and not just a
popularity contest.

What we are going to get, always, on a list such as DJML, is something
similar to the thread we had a few years ago about which CD you would
take with you to a deserted island.  It's always going to be about "what
I or you like", unless strict rules were laid out first.  Booorrrring!

I played a pretty darn good solo last nite to a small crowd of people
deep in conversation at a hotel gig.  Got a nod from the trumpeter.
That's enough recognition for me.  Will I win any contests?  Doubt it,
nor do I care, just as long as I get the occasional nod from a fellow
musician.  I suspect the various greats of jazz held similar opinions.

Jim