[Dixielandjazz] the "solo" question

briantowers briantowers@msn.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:04:47 -0500

Here are some of my favourites:

Trumpet/cornet    Cornet Chop Suey    Louis Armstrong   - tone, rhythm,
creativity, soul
Clarinet                 Burgundy Street Blues   George Lewis  - soul and
emotion
Tenor Sax             Body & Soul  (the 1939 version)  Coleman Hawkins -
tone, rhythm, creativity, soul
Guitar                     Savoy Blues (L.A. Hot Five) Lonnie Johnson    -
Alto sax                  Ice Cream              Cap'n John Handy   -
exuberance, rhythm, power and stamina
Trombone             Panama                  J.C. Higginbotham  - power,
rhythm, technique, originality
Drums                   Sing Sing Sing       Gene Krupa              -
swinging rhythm
String bass           Big Noise  from Winnetka   Bob Haggart - originality
and great rhythm

Note I say "some of my favourites"    I agree with what some-one else said -
there are no best solos!

Personally I find a good jazz ensemble sound is just as exciting and
stimulating as an individual solo.

Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada