[Dixielandjazz] Lee Gifford - Was best solo

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 01:35:11 -0500

Dan Augustine wrote (polite snip)

"My friends and i in the mid-1950's would laugh and shake our heads in
amazement every time we heard Lee Gifford's trombone-solo in "Fight the
Team" (or is it "Across the Field"?--whatever, the Ohio State fight
song), on Billy Maxted's "Need It Be Named?" LP.  It had amazing
dexterity, high range (ending with rapid notes on a high F), and a
recognizable structure and direction to it.  Still one of
the best i've ever heard."

Thanks for mentioning Lee Gifford. I played a bunch of gigs with him in
NYC in the late 1950s and band mates and I marveled at what this fine
trombone player put down on every tune he played. My, my, my, how good
it was to work with him and listen to what he was playing. Initially met
him at Nick's when he was gigging there with Maxted. Not your everyday
Dixieland line trombone player, but oh how he played, his command of the
horn, his imagination, it was very exciting.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone