[Dixielandjazz] Re: the best solo in jazz

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:16:32 -0600

    I second the motion on T's "Lover" solo, but there's another trombone solo i can still remember and occasionally whistle in its entirety (if of course i have sufficient bottles of the proper kind of 'moisture' to whet it).  My friends and i in the mid-1950's would laugh and shake our heads in amazement every time we heard Lee Gifford's trombone-solo in "Fight the Team" (or is it "Across the Field"?--whatever, the Ohio State fight song), on Billy Maxted's "Need It Be Named?" LP.  It had amazing dexterity, high range (ending with rapid notes on a high F), and a recognizable structure and direction to it.  Still one of the best i've ever heard.

    Dan

--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **