[Dixielandjazz] Arizona Classic Jazz Festival

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson@verizon.net
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 06:58:10 -0600

Just a quick report on our visit to Mesa, AZ and the Arizona Classic
Jazz Festival.  All the bands and entertainers were top notch.  This
festival has grown and improved over the past three years that Jim and I
have attended.

Two of the bands have greatly improved since we first heard them.  They
are The Desert City 6 and Alamo City Jazz Band.  This is encouraging to
me.  Too many times I think bands sit back and stay (and play) at their
"adequate" level.

Also a musician we were knocked out by is the 18-year old clarinets for
The New Reformation Jazz Band -- Dave Bennett.  He is really a talented
player.

Other highlights for us were finally getting to hear Kaye Wade sing and
getting better acquainted with Listmate Rae Ann Berry.  (Thanks Rae Ann
for the morning refreshment at the F2F!)

It was very nice of Chet Jaeger (Night Blooming Jazzmen) to mention
Tommy Loy at his Sunday morning "Humalong" and dedicate "Closer Walk" to
him.  It was because Tommy played at the ACJF in 1999 that Jim and I
decided to attend... And the reason we went again in 2000 and the reason
we traveled to Mesa in 2001 for a Jazz Society Meeting which featured
Tommy.

Also was good to hear Igor sing after his serious surgery!  He sat in
with CanUs for "St. James Infirmary Blues".  Amazing that he could do
that after the reconstructive surgery on his tongue.  Another
highlight!!

Well, we have our "Jazz Fix" for a while!

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, Texas