[Dixielandjazz] Re: Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:08:29 +1100

Dear Dan,
You have opened up a great thread here.
The tuba player you are asking about is Joe' Country' Washburne (spelt with and
without the 'e').
Born 1904 in Houston. Died in 1974.
Now, Don Ingle can tell you ALL about him. A mainstay with the Ted Weems band
(1931-42 and Spike Jones band (1942-46).
Recorded with Red Ingle, Jimmy McPartland, Wingy Manone, Nappy Lamare and
others.
The clarinet player on "South' is Rosy McHargue. Tbnist is Warren Smith of Bob
Crosby fame.
Unfortunately you will have to find EPs and LPS (10" and 12") on Jump, Decca and
Capitol to get most of what you what.
Why there are no CDs (apart from single titles on compilations) I do not know. A
great shame.
I have a bio of Pete Dailey somewhere, but have a radio program deadline, so
can't spend any more time at the moment. It may have been a Mississippi Rag
article.
In the meantime check out Dailey's article on Frank Melrose in Art Hodes' book
'Selections From The Gutter'.
The DJML archives may have something, as we discussed this subject some years
ago (mid 2000). I will check my saved emails later.
Kind regards,
Bill.